My TpT Store

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Growth Mindset Read-Aloud: Cornelius by Leo Lionni

As I was reading Cornelius by Leo Lionni, it occurred to me what a wonderful book this is to teach Growth Mindset.


Teaching Growth Mindset with read-alouds: "Cornelius" by Leo Lionni.


After being picked on for being different by his friends, Cornelius decides to set off into the world to live life for himself.  He soon meets a monkey who can stand on his head and hang from his tail.  Cornelius decides that he, too, would like to stand on his head and hang from his tail.

Teaching Growth Mindset with read-alouds: "Cornelius" by Leo Lionni.


The monkey reminds him that he can learn anything with "a lot of hard work and a little help."


Teaching Growth Mindset with read-alouds: "Cornelius" by Leo Lionni.



I love the part about achieving your goals through hard work and a little help!  Eventually, Cornelius does learn to do the seemingly impossible task of standing on his head and hanging from his tail.


In true Leo Lionni style, the pictures are colorful, the words are few but well thought out, and the lessons go deep.


Have you used this book for other lessons?  I'd love to hear how!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not used this book, but I am a big fan of Leo Lionni. I will add this book to my collection of books for growth mindset. Throughout the year, I also teach words like "perseverance" and "stamina". I think this book will go well with those lessons too. Thanks for sharing!

Teaching Tips and Treasures

Heather said...

I love his books too! I'm always looking for more books that demonstrate Growth Mindset and perseverance. I'd love to hear your favorites.