My TpT Store

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Author/Genre of the Month: Jacqueline Davies

In the past couple of years, I have started to do a "genre of the month" during reading class.  This is loosely based off of The Book Whisperer.  By the way, it is a fantastic and quick read that you won't regret buying.  I highly recommend it!

September's author is Jacqueline Davies.  This is a continuation of the Realistic Fiction genre from August because I really want kids to sink their teeth into this genre.  Davies is still adding to "The Lemonade War" series, which is humorous and students can totally relate to it.  Also, I love to get kids hooked on series because if they like the first book, they will most likely read through the entire series.

As with the other months, I put out a bunch of his books to be displayed for the entire month and I choose one to read aloud.  For Jacqueline Davies, I like to read aloud the first book of the series, The Lemonade War.  This is a book about the (sometimes unfriendly) competition between brother and sister over who will make more money at their lemonade stands that summer.


Other books in the Lemonade series:
The Lemonade Crime (second book)
The Bell Bandit (third book)
The Candy Smash (fourth book)


I also have websites available for students to research Jacqueline Davies and find more books that they want to add to their "To Read" lists.  Harper Collins Publishers has this website called the Author Tracker and Reading Rockets has many more authors on this site.
 
Do you have a genre of the month or an author study?  I'd love to hear what you do with yours!

No comments: